Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy Anything But Valentines Day

Valentines Day is a horrible idea for a holiday. I've seen it drive people insane. I've been one of those people where you feel like a leper if you don't happen to be involved with anyone so you stay hope like the unlovable freak you must be, or you get all dressed/tarted up and go to a singles mixer. You're missing out so you must be a loser. My wife and I don't celebrate the holiday. Well, it happens to be our dogs birthday so I guess we lavish them with a bit of extra attention in appreciation that they exist.

Valentines is a day on which people are supposed to lavish gifts on their sweetie, send somebody flowers, chocolates, take them to a romantic dinner, buy them lingerie and then have some kind of sexy using some fruit-scented lubricant. Did I leave anything out. Oh yes, the cards. I went into a drug store to buy some ginger ale for my poor sis-n-law Kylie. She drank a bit more than the Surgeon General recommends and she paid the price. On my way into the store this girl hands asks me if I want a coupon so if I buy three cards I get one free. If Valentines Day were a holiday I would challenge it to a duel prepare to count ten paces, whip around after two paces and shoot it dead. People already in relationships don't need this holiday. They already have anniversaries and birthdays which are at least a bit more personal. And those that have just fallen into a love, lust or fuck buddy relationship are way to busy peeling their clothes off and getting sweaty to stop and smell some flowers or eat some chocolate.

Valentines Day makes perfectly nice and lovely people who happen to be single feel shitty about themselves simply because they don't have a significant other. Kind of like how Father's Day sucks for me and my daddyless ass. But one day I'll be on the receiving end of ugly ties, slippers #1 Dad Mugs and hopefully some really shitty homemade ash trays.

I have some alternative ideas for more practical things we could do on this day.

1) We could have Sadie Hawkins Day where the girls all ask the guys out. It's absurd to think that the guy has any control over the asking out process, so let's stop pretending he does and let the girls/women choose.

2) We could celebrate Buy a New toothbrush because you've had that old one for like a year and a half and that's just nasty Day.

3) Venereal Disease Awareness Day. 1 in 4 people have herpes. Christ. That must suck. Sorry to 25% of you reading this blog. And apologies to the 90% of those 25% who got the herpes from me. My bad.

4) Don't drive like an fucking asshole day. This would be in stark contrast to every Sunday in my neighborhood. Where the old ladies and Hasidic Jewish guys like to show off either a) their ability to drive 20 miles slower than the actual speed limit with their left blinker on or b) Erratically change lanes to indicate that they are prepared to die in the name of reckless driving. I'm not saying all old ladies and Hasidic men are bad drivers. Just the ones in my neighborhood.

5) Teacher Appreciation Day. Don't worry teachers will somehow take time out from counting their vast piles of money for a bit of recognition.

6) Massage Day. Go out and get a nice rub down from some tall Swede or get a little Thai woman to bend you into impossible positions. How these 5 feet tall women have the strength of ten men is a mystery.

7) Leave a cool book that you've just finished lying around where somebody can find it and enjoy it. How cool would it be to see books all over the place for you to choose from.

8) Give a Compliment Day. Everybody you interact with in any way you need to find something nice to say about them. "What a beautiful blouse." "You have such nice posture." "You bagged those groceries with flair." "Your tongue stud felt great against my balls." It doesn't cost a thing, and everybody loves a compliment.

What's the strangest compliment you're ever been given? I was once told that I have the small, soft and understanding hands of a lipstick lesbian.

The strangest compliment I ever overheard (and sadly it really was intended as a compliment) was at a cross walk in Georgia. Black woman holding her cute baby waiting for a green light. Old southern man also waiting at the corner turns to her and says "Ma'am may I say you have got yourself one adorable little Nigglet."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I moved to Japan, I have been complimented many times on my "tiny head" (the one on my shoulders). I dont understand but its giving me a complex.

Anonymous said...

BEVIS said...

Hello all you wacky shoot-'em-up Americans out there! How many people have you killed today? :)

(Oops, probably not the smartest way to endear myself to the masses once more. Let me start again.)

I love you!

I just wanted to wish Kranki-Pants a Happy Valentine's Day. If you lived in this wide, brown, mysterious, backwater, layabout country with me, where all cute babes have to walk around topless by law, I'd have to apologise for being late with these wishes - but because you guys don't know what day it is, I'm still contacting you in time!

Fan-frickin'-tastic.

Anyway, Krank - I hope you managed to do the wild thing on Penny's leg, to paraphrase the venerable poet Tone Loc, who once penned similar lyrics in one of his more thoughtful and romantic pieces of prose.

Or at the very least, I hope you copped a feel while she was asleep.

Lord knows I did.

Anyway, I'm back after an amazingly enlightening stay in a nunnery (did you know nuns shower in the nude?), so I hope you still remember who I am and what I did for this blog site while it was struggling to find an audience.

That's right, I pushed them away and made it harder for you to receive any comments other than my own. But it looks like you've moved on now, and have a healthy readership.

Fan-frickin'-tastic.

I didn't expect this comment to be so long, so my apologies to all the anti-long-blog-commenters out there, but you can suck a particularly stinky and more-than-slightly-moist egg fart.

Kranki-Pants, I've missed out on a lot while I was dressed up in a habit and spying on a bunch of young, virginal, chaste women in the shower, so I hope you don't hate me.

Unless you're Catholic, in which case I've probably done my dash here.

Viva la tits!

BEVIS

PS - No, my stay away didn't help the hormones any. I'm still a dirty little boy who sniggers at words that remind me of rude words, like 'ripples' or 'organism' or 'volvo'.

Hehehehe...

ms fits said...

Jesus. So I'm fucking sorry for texting you on Valentine's Day, okay?

A simple 'get fucked' would have done the job just as well.



p.s. Bevis! How good?

kranki said...

First, Anonymous I wish you weren't anonymous. You know what they say about people with tiny heads... yeah neither do I. I had some Koreans tell me how nice and white I was. WTF?

Second, Viva le Bevis!

While you were gone I felt like Hunter S. Thompson with his drugs. Okay, it was more like a happy days episode without Ralph Malph. Johnny Carson without Ed McMahon.

Thanks for the Valentines wishes. Welcome home.

Jellyfish said...

" Teacher Appreciation Day. Don’t worry teachers will somehow take time out from counting their vast piles of money for a bit of recognition."

Hohohohohohohohohoho. That was my hollow laugh.

I'm off for a cry, now.

la nadine said...

yay for bevis! and yay for postcards from LA!

Anonymous said...

BEVIS said...

Wow, I'm startled by the responses I've read - not to Kranki, but to me!

To be honest, I HAD hoped Kranki-Pants and maybe Ms Fits (over on her blogsite) would make a small fuss over my return, it's true. But I didn't expect others like la nadine and Mallrat to welcome me back with open arms as well! It's been months! And yet they still claim to remember me! (Or at least they're being polite.)

Either way - champions! I love you all.

Please note, however, that if you're actually being sarcastic and hurtful, I will hunt you down like a dog and force you to learn new tricks, such as balancing a plastic bone on your nose and barking the answer to one plus one!

I wish my blog account hadn't been cancelled or that I could be bothered to open a new one. It's tiring to have to log in as Anonymous and then sign off with:

BEVIS

kranki said...

Bevis: Just make a new blogger account you twatglobber.

Anonymous said...

BEVIS said...

Ehh - if I can be bothered...

Yes, I'm trying to decide if I should start one up properly, not like before when I really had no intention of using it. If I make a real one, I don't want it to be a crappy one.

Thought is involved - and that means weekend junkets away with lots of friends to 'study' the effects of my words on people's minds.

And lobster for dinner. In a jacuzzi. You know how it is.

BEVIS