Monday, June 13, 2005

Alone and Kranki

Back in college I thought about making a list of my friends and ranking them from best to worst so everyone would know how good a job they are doing and where they rate. This would likely cause much more harm than good but every once in a while I get the urge.

The list would be placed someplace where any of my friends could see it.

Now I must preface what I am about to say with two statements.

1) I am not a great friend. I can forget birthdays, go for too long without calling to catch up or make plans. I will often give advice even when I am not asked for my input and then become annoyed when a friend doesn't do exactly what I told them to do.

2) This may not apply to you so don't panic and hire somebody to have me killed. That could be a senseless waste of your finances.

I would like to register the following Komplaints.

1) Friend A, B, C & D have not returned my emails in a very, very long time.

2) Friend E and I were supposed to be working on a project and really digging in but Friend E ran off with his girlfriend/lover. This is the second time this has happened.

3) Friend F has been emailling me every few months to tell me that he's sorry that he hasn't gotten to the animation he really wants to get to but hasn't had time.

5) Friend H and I (me) had a bit of a falling out a few months back but friend H and I (me) are doing well. I don't really have any complaints about friend H. Oh, he did promise to get me the Sanford and Son ring tone and has yet to deliver. So good that H & I (me) cleared the air.

6) Friend J has not returned my call and last I heard she was going through some serious depression and I did what I could to help her and be there and then she just dropped of the radar screen.

7) Friend K is a dear friend who i have not spoken to since she told me she was planning on moving back to Los Angeles. I didn't call her back for a long time and left a message apologizing for my behavior and I have not heard from her.

8) Friend L is incredibly self-conscious and doesn't seem to realize that she and I are in very different phases of our lives and that I don't really relate to all the things she says and her insecurity and... she gets annoyed with me because I don't make plans. But she talks too much about nothing and is a horrible listener who doesn't stop going on at length about things she has already told me. So that is one I am okay letting go of.

9) Friend M contacted me to let me know she would be in LA and then never responded when I tried to make plans with her. But she sent me a killer mix CD with a sweet handmade CD case. To me getting something in the mail shows extra effort points.

10) Friend O is very busy and hasn't gotten around to letting me know the specifics of her California visit plans. Actually this applies to two of my friends who I love dearly but haven't heard a peep from in quite some time.

There are many more formal complaints I could lodge with the Friendship Bureau, but the only thing that writing this down does is make me sad and frustrated and isolated. I feel stuck, because in most of these cases there is nothing I can really do to correct the situation. I feel like I have been making so much more of an effort than these friends of mine have. None of these instances of "flakiness" or "laziness" or disinterest would be all that bad as isolated events, but the fact that they are all happening at once is quite upsetting and the cumulative affect, plus some job-hunt stress made me start crying the other day. I just feel unsupported by so many people in my life right now and I wonder how many of these friendships that I value are going to get washed away for good. I wonder what more I can do to revive these relationships and nurture them. How do you pick and choose who you give your time to? I can't recall feeling this ignored and un-appreciated. I'm sorry if I contributed to the communication gap but in most of the situations I don't think that is the case. I know that nobody can be aware that there are currently several dozen other people who are letting me down and/or not taking time to respond to my efforts to connect with them. It makes me wonder why this is happening all at once. I think about the nature of friendship and I wonder if everybody has a friend because they give them something that they need, physical, emotional, material, whatever... Why do people become friends? Is it that they have a similar outlook on life? Common Interests? Shared experiences? Complementary senses of humor? I think of all the people who have been my close friends over the years and how those friendships just naturally faded away. I wonder if it's better not to care about other people so much that you get invested in them. It also makes me appreciate being married to an amazing woman. The beauty of marriage is that you agree to share your life together and grow together to stay friends and be there for the other person no matter what flavor of hot coffee life spills on your lap. Today I get what it is to be married. It is essentially best-friend insurance.

Normally it's cathartic to write down my feelings and express my thoughts in writing, but right now it's after 2AM I'm sitting at my computer and I feel weary and weak for even having these thoughts.

8 comments:

Anna A. Spades said...

hey kranks

*friendly wave*

I hope things get better soon.

xx anna

Fluffy said...

oh kranki. this is heart wrenching and I think it's because essentially this happens to everyone. or maybe its just you and me. for the purposes of this comment its everyone.

i never know what to make of it when someone i feel like i've been friends with drops off the radar or fucks up the neat little you-call-me-i'll-call-you arrangement that seemed to work so well. you don't want to push or suffer the indignity of a one-sided friendship so you just let it die but you don't want to.

its fucked.

these are hard decisions to make so hopefully this unsolicited advice based on a total lack of information will help:

friends A,B,C and D: send a group email saying you're updating your subscriber list and if they care to remain in Kontact they should say so now or forever get fucked in the ass by a pointy stick.

friend E: needs to know that the project requires you to generate "creative steam" which takes time and cannot be recouped once it goes unharnessed and dissipates into the atmosphere. And you appreciate that his girlfriend must have certain amounts of his time but i fainrness to both you and the project there needs to be some scheduling done.

friend F: sounds very very busy. send an email saying "let me know when you have some free time". Hopefully as a result you'll stop getting the regular "i'm so damn busy i don't even have time to finish this senten.." emails.

friend G: has obviously disappeared completely. It's okay. A little slash and burn is good for the crop generally.

friend J: you did what you could and it's more than a lot of people would do when someone comes out and says they've been suffering from depression. If you're missing her let her know (send a card?) you hope she's doing okay and you're thinking of her.

friend K: has probably been busy and understands that yours is the kind of friendship which can survive a period of non-contact. Hopefully she'll call you when she's settled again.


friend L: see friend G

friend M: killer mix, handmade and sent in the post: those are big point scorers. friend M knows what's up your alley. I say she's worth holding out for despite the no return email on the LA plans. Ask her why. why? WHY?

10) friend O might be someone I know who is even too busy to see people she lives in the same city with. But if I know friend O she really means to be there and it's all about the K man.

xxx love you Kranki. give me a call sometime! jeez you'd think I don't exist or something. I have needs. I HAVE NEEDS!

*needs*

Buck Fudd said...

Jeez Fluffy - Who needs an advisor: You are the Advicenator.

BEVIS said...

Speaking as someone who is clearly beneath Friend ZZZ, I must protest this post of self-indulgence.

Did you get my stinkin' email or what? If you're ignoring me, fair enough - I asked for that.

But if you're just weirded-out by the fact that I included naked pictures of myself, then I'm surprised you can't take a joke.

(Any chick who's ever seen me naked has found it extremely funny, anyway...)

So hopefully you just haven't gotten around to it yet, or maybe it didn't arrive?

Otherwise, your first prefaced statement (above) is too true: you're not a great friend.

Show me the love, Kranki-Pants!

BEVIS

PS - I'm being facetious, by the way. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Hang them out to dry like a normal person. That way, they won't crumple.

Anonymous said...

Hey kranki

I hate it when this shit happens.

Fluffy's right - it happens to all of us, and always when everything else is going under too. It sucks. But give them the ones you really care about a chance. I'm liking fluffy's advice. And, also, sometimes a little culling and procuring of new is not a bad thing.

I hope things look up soon!

Sherriff said...

My friend K left a message on my phone telling me he would call back soon.

Never did.

But I loves him anyway.

werd.

BEVIS said...

KB,

Got your emails. Happy endings for all.

And I mean that in an "adult massage" kind of way.

BEVIS

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I did miss a lot on your blog. We were in LA for all of 2 hours over the span of 2 days. I'm sorry I didn't get to finally meet you, but hopefully next time I get to California I'll have more time.

And the mix cd was made with love by the 2 coolest, krankiest girls in all of nyc.

I liked this post though. I don't think it's immature or selfish in any way to write this on a blog, it shows how much you care, and for some of the people it was your last attempt to reach out.