Monday, July 12, 2004

Did I meet you at one of God's parties?

Penny and I watched Touching the Void last night. Wow. Docudrama on two Brits who climbed Suilu Grande in Peru. I want to buy this movie so when have a shit day I can pop the DVD in and get some healthy perspective on how bad things could be. I won't give anything away, because you're going to be so curious about this movie that you'll be compelled to rent it. I think the only comments Penny and I made on the film while watching it were. "Oh, my god!" and "Holy shit." If there is a God I'm sorry we were blasphemous great, omnipotent one. And if there isn't a god then there are a lot of people doing the work of someone that doesn't exist. As an Agnostic, who doubts the existence of God, I can't imagine doing the bidding of someone/thing that was totally intangible. Anyway, my point is that many, many people accept that a person is religious and is doing his work. There is somebody in my class at Grad School who was asked if they had any hobbies. She said "It's not exactly a hobby, but I do the work of God." It sounded like she was bragging about it. All I'd said was that I like to go hiking with my dogs. It seemed lame in comparison to working for the all-powerful creator of the entire universe. I wanted to ask this young woman what kind of work she does and where her office is and whether God provides her with a good dental plan. From what I've seen the work she does involves asking the professors to explain the most basic concepts, being secretive and displaying anti-social behavior. That's not good PR for God. How does being sullen, moody and easily confused (stupid) help God. (FYI: This girl did not recognize what a swastika symbol was.) Also I find it thoroughly pretentious when people name drop like that. It always puts me off and I try not to do it myself unless I've actually met the person and have socially interacted with them. But to just name drop when you've never met the entity. Don't say you work for God unless God, or one of his lesser-angels, signs your paycheck. I could understand if somebody said that they work for the good of humanity. That's a bit more tangible. Hopelessly futile, but tangible. If I started handing out business cards and went around telling people that I worked for the Divine Spirit of Mother Nature #1) They'd think I was a nut job and #2) I'd be lying. I don't even know a friend of the Divine Spirit of Mother Nature. #3) They'd place me in an asylum for the insane. Unless I happened to be rich, then they'd all want my business card to impress their friends and family. "I do the work of God." "My sister works for Mel Gibson." Why do I care, you just want to sound important by association with somebody famous. I hung out in Vegas for two days with Kato Kaelin, but I'm not blabbing that out to make me sound like a big shot. I'm not a big shot. I don't want to be a big shot. I just want to be happy and wealthy enough so that people will refer to me as "an eccentric fellow" instead of "a total nut job headcase." Apparently if you have money it makes you colorful instead of crazy. They could instantly help all those poor people suffering from mental illness if they just gave them all millions of dollars. I'm not saying it would be easy to come up enough money for everybody, but I bet you could find some eccentric billionaire who'd kick in.






No comments: